Sunday, August 16, 2009

So it begins..

Fall knitting, that is. And just as the summer heat has finally arrived. But it'll start cooling off soon, and I'm excited for it - fall is easily my favorite season.

This summer has been fairly productive for me, I only have a couple summer projects left to finish. Surprisingly, I don't have much in the queue for the fall, so I'm also looking forward to the surprises it'll bring. At least I can say that first up is the Green Gable Hoodie using Cascade Eco Wool in Platinum.


For being such a bulky yarn, the sweater is actually turning out to be quite light. I tried to knit it before in Wool Ease Thick & Quick, which ended up being too bulky and stiff. I hope the Eco Wool will stay drapy but hold up on the hood. In any case, I'll be using it again for something else - it's such a great deal for the yardage.


The mitts are just over halfway done. The right one still obviously needs to be blocked, but I'll wait and do them at the same time. Otherwise, I'm smitten with these mittens - they've turned out a lot better than I'd thought - my sister joked that they were an early birthday present for her and Dad was surprised when I told him they were a handknit. And even the train conductor, who sees me knitting every morning, inquired about them!

These have really been a fun knit so far. There's not been any overwhelming urge to frog or put them on hold; there's a few mistakes, but I'm living with them; and they went up super fast. To that, I have to give credit to the 9" Hiya Hiya circ. Just the fact that I have to use dpns for the cuff, tip and thumb irritates me, because I seriously can't stop raving about that circ. I think it's one of the best things to happen to the knitting world. Ever. I'm even considering knitting socks with it. Seriously. I even bought sock yarn. (Ok, it was one of the Sock Summit Dye for Glory winners, but still.) I'll let know how it goes with the socks.

2 comments:

  1. They both look great so far!! I've heard raves about Eco wool, but haven't tried it yet- I'm going to have to make that happen this winter, I think!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mitts are adorable! Michelle just sent me your blog -- I love the pictures you have of all of the things you've made; you have some true talent :)

    ReplyDelete