Sunday, August 2, 2009

Knitterly Commuting

Most of my knitting gets done on the train as I commute between Chicago and suburbs, and I've been fairly adamant about reserving this time specifically for knitting. I honestly believe I wouldn't knit nearly as much otherwise. Last week I also started commuting to Racine, WI, which gives me about 3 hours (roundtrip) of uninterrupted knitting time. Awesome :)

Here are the train knits from the past couple of weeks.


This was a [sweet,-I-just-got-an-internship-so-I'll-celebrate-by-buying-yarn] kind of a project. I normally don't like the color pink and I normally don't like knitting with cotton (the yarn is Berroco Cotton Twist), but I think it was the subtle sheen that's been spun into the yarn that attracted me to it. And what better way to show it off than with a lace shawl? Little Arrowhead Shawl is the pattern, and it was actually quite delightful to knit. The yarn ended up being ok. I don't know if I'd knit with it again. It was a bit splitty, and there were knots in the middle of the skein (and with only 85 yards on the skein in the first place, that quickly becomes annoying). Further, I'd knit a stockinette swatch and was a bit disappointed at how it looked and draped in stockinette. The open lace is far better in showing off the yarn and it drapes well, so I'm happy with the overall result, but still.


I've secretly been wanting to make Saartje's Bootees for some time now. Last month, I'd asked a photographer friend to shoot some of my work, and I'd offer to compensate him in knitting. He'd told me he and his wife were expecting a baby boy, so I thought these would be perfect.


And currently on the needles are the Anemoi Mittens, in Knit Picks Palette, and on the new Hiya Hiya 9" circ. Mostly, I'm excited to be using the circ. I knit the cuff on dpns, which I generally dislike using for an extended period of time anyways, and though I'm only 6 rounds in on the body of the mitt, I'm already loving the circ. It definitely took a little bit getting used to, and especially since I'm knitting with yarn in both hands (which in and of itself takes a bit to get used to), but it's overall easier and much faster than the dpns. So far, no complaints. I'm eager to knit these - we'll see how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment