Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Swimsuit Cover-Up Contest

Whew, it's July already! I've been busy - but unfortunately it seems, too busy to take pictures or blog :( I think it's time to make up for some lost time...

I'm an avid reader of several craft blogs, the craftzine blog being one I check almost daily. When they posted a Swimsuit Cover-Up Contest, I thought, 'hey, why not?' First place is a sewing machine, and 3 runners up get a dress form (this is what I'm really pining for - I already have a sewing machine :P). Each contestant is allowed up to 3 entries, I've submitted 2.


I made this jumpsuit on Sunday. This was the perfect excuse to make a jumpsuit as well, because I don't really know when the hell else I would ever wear one.

The fabric is a double stretch jersey, purchased at Vogue Fabrics in Chicago. I've always been a bit weary of stretch knits - my machine had never really like to play nice with them. But the garment design wouldn't allow for a woven (even a slinky silk or satin wouldn't have draped the same way [and besides who wants to wear silk or satin to the beach?]) and so the jersey adventure began.

Surprisingly (and pleasantly so), it wasn't as hard to work with the fabric as I had remembered. There is a shirring detail at the shoulder, which I worked by using elastic thread in my bobbin. (Lock the beginning stitches, sew on the longest stitch length to the end, don't lock the end stitches, pull the elastic to desired length, tie a knot with both threads to secure. Easy.) I think the best part of this whole thing is no buttons, no zippers, no pleats, darts, tucks or fancy fitting - truly an easy breezy summer outfit.


I love, love, love this dress. Probably one of my favorite things I've sewn in a while, and a dress that's already gotten a lot of use. I've worn it to the bar, to run errands, and to work. It's completely universal. The fabric for this dress is just darling. The scenes of children-at-play (also my nickname for the dress) are a perfect embodiment of summertime.

I made this dress on Memorial Day. My good friend and photographer Erica had taken many of the pictures for my portfolio, and in return had wanted to learn to sew. I brought over my machines and while she was busy working on a wrap dress, I'd made this. (Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of her dress.)

So we'll see how the contest goes. If nothing else I still have a couple of cute outfits from it, so I won't complain too much! Also, the photo credit goes to my friend Matt, who shall be thanked with a knitted baby hat and booties, for the son he and his wife are expecting!

2 comments:

  1. oh wow, those are both gorgeous!! I'm seriously impressed with your sewing skills. good luck in the contest, I hope you win!!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete